Free Business Listing | NADRA Online

How to Replace a Lost EHIC Card

EHIC is a great system which allows European citizens to receive state healthcare across the European Economic Area, but the whole system hinges around the physical card, which you present along with your passport to prove your entitlement. But what happens if you lose your card, or have it stolen, but then need to access medical care overseas in an emergency?

If you have lost, misplaced or had your EHIC stolen please use this form.

Non-Emergency Replacement

If you have simply misplaced your EHIC and are not planning on travelling any time soon, then there is no real rush to get it replaced as a matter of urgency. If you have lost your EHIC documentation, or it gets stolen, you can call the NHS replacement line on 0300 330 1350. You will need to be able to give the operator your basic details such as name, address and date of birth along with your NHS number if you know it, and they will arrange for replacement cards to be sent. You will need to repeat this process for each member of the family whose cards have been mislaid. The turnaround time for new cards is fairly quick, but make sure to get cards replaced as soon as you can. You can also write to the NHS, or apply for your replacement online if you prefer.

Losing Your Card Overseas

If you are overseas when you discover your EHIC has been lost or stolen, then the situation becomes a little more complicated. You can choose to wait until you get home to get the cards replaced, and take the risk that you will not need to access state healthcare until you return to the UK. If you have taken out additional travel insurance which covers medical care, and only have a day until you return home, this may be the most sensible option. However, if you have only just arrived, or only realise that you have lost your EHIC when you need to see the doctor, you have to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC).

Getting a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC)

If you are in a country which accepts EHIC, discover you have lost your card and need an urgent replacement, then you need to call the Overseas Healthcare team at the NHS on +44 191 218 1999. This line is only available during office hours, and cannot be accessed at the weekend. Give the operator your name, address, date of birth and NHS or CHI number if you have it plus details of where you are being treated and by which provider. Someone else can do this for you if you are too ill to call yourself. The PRC will be sent directly to the healthcare provider, and will allow you to receive treatment under EHIC rules. You will still have to apply for a replacement EHIC once you return home.

Making Things Easier

Replacing lost or stolen EHIC cards is much easier if you have copies of the originals. Take photocopies and leave them in your hotel or apartment, or take photographs with your mobile and email them to yourself so you can access the information easily when you need to.